KCUSD Dress Code Policy
The Governing Board approved a dress code which was developed by teachers, principals, and parents from every school site in the district. The dress code policy and requirements are as follows:
Kings Canyon Unified School District is an exemplary district. The primary function of the KCUSD standard dress attire policy is to establish a safe and secure learning environment that reflects positive student choice. The district standard dress attire policy will be enforced consistently and fairly on school campuses and at school sponsored functions.
Schools are responsible for notifying students and parents/guardians in a timely manner of established site standards.
Exceptions to Regulations
Generally, these neutral dress and grooming rules will be applied to all students. Religious beliefs and/or medical requirements may be grounds for an exception to a specific portion of the KCUSD Dress Code with specific advance approval from the District. A petition for an exemption from enforcement of a specified portion of KCUSD Dress Code should be submitted to the Principal.Under no circumstances will the Principal allow an exception for dress or grooming that displays gang symbols, uses profanity or displays products or slogans that promote tobacco, alcohol, drugs or sex.
Clothing with Writing, Symbols, Pictures and Insignia
Articles of clothing, jewelry or personal effects (backpacks, fanny packs, binders, gym bags, buttons, water bottles, etc.) are not allowed if those items contain writing, symbols, pictures, or insignia that:
1. Display gang-related symbols
2. Use profanity
3. Display products or slogans which promote tobacco, alcohol, drugs or sex
4. Disrupt the educational process
5. Are obscene, libelous, or slanderous
6. Create a clear and present danger of the commission of unlawful acts, violation of school
regulations, or injury to students, staff, or community
7. Violate state hate-crime lawsAny clothing or apparel that a student or group of students wear to identify themselves for the purpose of harassing, threatening, or intimidating others will not be allowed. With regard to this section, school-site personnel do not have the discretion to create stricter dress and grooming standards at the school site, and personnel do not have the discretion to create exceptions to these requirements.
Students who fail to follow the provisions of this policy will be held accountable in accordance with established district/site discipline policy.
Site Policy for Dress Code Violations:
CONSEQUENCES FOR DRESS CODE VIOLATION(s)
*if we have a loaner shirt that fits the student s/he will be allowed to borrow it
Restorative Discipline for repeat offenders: